Monday, January 17, 2011

Surrey Christian School

This is a different sort of post. If you are not familiar with Surrey Christian School, check out their website or visit on Wednesday, January 19th, for their Open House. I just spent a short amount of time there last week capturing bits and pieces of the three campuses. I may have also spent 5 years there as a student in high school AND taught there for a few years too:) It is a wonderful place. A second home. Check it out. And now, for some photos...
{Wonderful music and art classes which includes an extracurricular Strings Program}
{Smiles and friends all around. I met my best friend in grade 8 at this school (formerly known as Fraser Valley Christian) and we are still best friends 20 years later!}
{Teachers that love and care for their students. Not just how they do academically, but caring for how and who they are. I can say that as I had the privilege of getting to know many students over my seven years there, and, I'm still keeping in touch with so many of them. I would also like to point out that the Learning Assistance Program is outstanding.}
{Everywhere I went, there were students reading. The libraries were so welcoming and were always full of students, even at lunch time at the high school!}
{Great technology at all three campuses. There are computer labs at each one and students of all ages have computer classes. Teachers at the high school have smart boards which are just a bit more fun than the good old overhead projector that I started with!}
{The playgrounds at the middle and elementary school are very well used. Even one of the principals was playing football with the grade 3 and 4's during recess!}
{The high school has recently had a huge addition. Pictured above is the Chapel, a Video Recording Studio, and the Performing Arts Center.}
{These kids make me feel old with all their access to technology. You can see the elementary school kids with their laptops, the middle school has a class set of i Touches and the high school has some new digital video cameras.}
{Gorgeous science lab at the high school and if I may say so, wonderful science teachers:) All the teachers are great, but you know, Gary is one of the science ones. That is how we met!}

{Look at all the beautiful art on the walls. There is a program, run by students, called `Kafe for Kids'. It is where they sell fair trade, organic, specialty coffees to raise money for athletics and for the Kabala school project in Sierra Leone. There are many other fundraisers put on, throughout all three campuses, which allowed for the building of a Christian School in Sierra Leone as well as sponsorship for the children that attend. Check out this link for more information on that very cool and life changing project.}

This was just a teensy peek into a very cool school. I didn't even touch on the athletic program at all. The senior girls recently placed first in volleyball provincials and the boys soccer team got second!. If you are at all interested, I would recommend you check it out. As a student I loved it. As a teacher I loved it. And now, as a parent, it is where I want my child to go. Where he will be loved and nurtured and known.

11 comments:

kelly ens said...

WOW - i have to say that your comments about the technology there was running through my head the WHOLE time. makes me feel like i am REALLY old and it has been a REAAAALLY long time since I've been there.
is that last picture the centre of the high school where there used to be blue pillars and fake trees? :) the new addition looks phenomenal. super impressed. if we lived in the area, i'd be sending our kids there :)

Lynn Webb said...

Wow! I have not been there in a long time because it all looks so different, and much nicer! Great work on the photos once again...

Lindsay said...

looks like a great school! and is that Danny I see?

Carol said...

Looks and sounds like a great school. I can understand why you would want your children to go there! Great photos!

kristin said...

nice pics louise! amazing how far technology has come even since i have been there! cute shot of my sis and her voilin :)

Elwin Witzke said...

Wonderful photos and a really neat way to show our school to parents who are looking for an awesome education for their children.

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Lauren Heinen said...

nice pics louise! and i agree with kristin - nice shot of my sister!

V said...

AMAZING!! Fraser Valley...I mean Surrey Christian looks completely different! Looks like I need to visit the secondary campus. Love love love the photos!

SCS Bible 12 C class said...

Beautiful pictures! We love this place!

Bible 12 B class said...

Fantastic! Superb! Awesome!
We love this school and don't want to leave!